Re: Ukranian eggs

---------

From: Cathy Gaul (allgaul_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 15:34:15 PST

Sidnie,
Let me tell you from horrible experiences with letting the stuff inside dry out...don't!
I make the eggs, take off the wax, spray them with 2 coats of clear gloss poly (NOT WATER BASED!) and then blow the eggs. Even then, if the goo hardens over the hole of the egg and traps the gas from the left over inside, you can have little hang grenade sulfur stink bombs.
When we moved into this house I hand carried a plate of eggs (already blown out) into the new empty house and placed the plate down on the fireplace mantle for safe keeping. The impact of plate on mantle was enough to cause one of the eggs to explode...and take out the other 3 on the plate with it. It was like the worst sulfur stink imaginable. My introduction to my new neighbors was me begging for Lysol and a vacuum or broom.....
My mom would take our eggs to the basement and let them in their cardboard egg crates wrapped in papertowels. From time to time you would walk to the basement and get gassed out with an exploded egg.
Now a days, the shells are very thin, must be what the feed the chickens or something.
I would never leave an un blown egg any more, and always make sure to put a push pin into the holes to keep the gas from trapping!
I never tried to make my own kitska, but did anyone ever do an egg with hot wax using a straight pin pushed into a pencil eraser? We did that for years before we got our kitska stylus. You can get all the supplies mail order if you don't have a place near you. You can also try Russian Orthodox churches, sometimes they sell supplies.
They are really great to make if you have never tried.

Cathy

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.