Hermitage Museum "Virtual Academy" - Great Resources

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 07:40:20 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I just "discovered" the Hermitage today.
There are some great online programs - especially for
those of you teaching in Christian/Religious private
schools (where you can show and discuss art about
religion).

http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/06/hm6_2.html

This was the best online presentation as far as
"functionality" (loaded the quickest)

Biblical Subjects

Bible subjects from the Creation to the Apocalypse are
here illustrated with outstanding works from the
collection of The State Hermitage Museum.

I particulary liked the Masterpieces section - but all
parts are good - view all of it.

I can see many ways for you to use this program.
Students could do web searches for other artists who
did works on the same theme - or could so web search
to find more works by the artists represented.
You could then have your students select a Biblical
theme and illustrate in their choice of medium or
style - giving it a contemporary look (Linda Woods did
Noah's Ark/Great Flood this year - very cool)

Here are the other programs

Winter Palace

This course introduces Russian emperors and describes
the most significant events in Russian history during
the 18th and 19th centuries.

Time of Knights

Brave knights and beautiful women, castles and coats
of arms, Crusades and tournaments, hunting and feasts:
you will learn everything about these topics from
Herald's fascinating stories.

(I will link this to my Middle Ages page and IAD
lessons)

Ancient Egypt

Geography, history, religion, architecture and writing
- present and discuss the great civilization of
ancient Egypt that developed in the Nile Valley 5000
years ago.

This museum has an extensive online digital collection
of images. You need current Java to view larger
images. My Java is outdated so my machine locked up. I
tried to view Greek pottery - I think they have over
100 in the collection. If your Java doesn't work -
there is plenty to see in the Collection Highlights.

I will be adding links to the Hermitage on my Museums
page.
http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/index.html

Please share other museums around the world that have
great online offerings. I am only interested in adding
museums that have a lot to offer online. They also
must have English translation as most users of IAD are
from USA - or English speaking countries.

Enjoy your visit on this site.

Regards,

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department