Monet's Garden Mural - from Susan

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 17:56:51 PST

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

Here is an old post I found from Susan....

Just to share in the thread about favorite Monet
lessons: I have done a Monet Mural with 1st grade.
But, it's also appropriate for K-4. On white
mural paper have groups of children take turns
blending cool colors with very watered down tempera.
Water colors work also but are not as vivid as the
tempera. I fill coffee cans with the watered down
tempera paint and give the kids those big 1/12" cheap
brushes. They must paint the paper horizontally
and blend the colors. Vocabulary I stress is blending,
horizontal, cool colors, lily pad.

While each group is working on the "pond", the rest of
the class is creating a water lily. I give the kids
coffee filters and they paint the centers with
yellow or pink paint. Each one also cuts out a lily
pad out of green construction paper.

We glue the lilies on top of their lily pads to the
mural paper when it dries. The 3-D flowers is kinda
nice and makes a wonderful display. This
project requires only one 40-45 minute class. Susan on
Long Island
There are other ideas from the thread...More threads
come up when you search Monet Lesson artsednet.

Christine Sumner Lyman did one with pink cup cake
papers as the flowers.

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/