argument for 7th 8th grade art

---------

From: Michelle Kee (m1kee2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 10:31:10 PST

Over the past two years I have taught and loved having 7/8th grade students
multi-grade year one, and split year two. The other elective teachers
(Spandish, computers, shop) detest having to come up with modifying their
curriculums to work with having repeat students. During a meeting, the shop
teacher proposed his having all the 8th grade students and me having all the
7th grade students only so the computer teacher can test all the 8th grade
students as part of the mandatory pre-high school entry. His argument is
also that all the students in the school will be gauranteed receiving art.
Or he suggested 1/4 rotations which is what used to happen (the preference
is semester long for worthwhile learning) Right now I have repeat students
and students who exit sans visual art.

Special, advanced/gifted/honors needs, math, english, classes are slotted
first in scheduling - and electives are slotted as a catch all, therefore
the hit and miss of the arts. I admire, respect, and do not want to be in a
battle with the veteran, loved, close to principal, shop teacher whose heart
is in the right place. How does your middle school work these schedules
(our numbers are down with fewer teachers), how can I present an idea with
the best interest of the students and school? I'm concerend about losing
8th grade students completely. What do you suggest in terms of negotiation?
What would you do in this situation? Have you had something similar?

Going into her third year confused,
michelle

---