Re: Organic Form in Clay- High School Lesson idea-Paperclay anybody?

---------

From: The Hammond Family (bhammond_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 06:58:09 PST

Paper clay is great fun - supposedly it has greater strength and more "fluidity" than regular clay. I have used it quite a bit to do draping type forms.
There is a nice little book, published in England, about paper clay - I don't have the specific info - someone borrowed my book and never returned it.
You can purchase paperclay - ads in the back of ceramics journals - but I make my own. You make paper pulp or "mush" by soaking paper scraps (I use toilet paper so I don't have to pulverize the pulp in a blender) and you make a clay slurry - then combine the 2 mixture, dry on plaster bats if you want, then wedge like you do regular clay. You can vary the proportions of pulp/clay but I seem to remember the book suggested less then half paper pulp (I usually keep the paper pulp under 1/3)
I bet a Google search will result in LOTS of info
Have fun!
Belinda in Greensboro