RE: Take 2 minutes and tell legislators you support the arts and art education :)

---------

From: Broadwater, Katherine (KBroadwater_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 17:27:37 PST

Dear Art Friends,

I agree with Christine. We can never become complacent about our advocacy for the arts!

<http://www.capwiz.com/artsusa/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=5424871>

Here is an excerpt from a column I wrote for SchoolArts Magazine.

"We simply are not doing a good enough job of positioning the arts front and center in our schools and communities so that folks in budgetary power get the message. We must take action that keeps the importance of arts education on people's minds.

So, what can we do? Try the following:

* Communicate with administrators and legislators regularly. Write letters.
* Keep school officials, legislators and the media informed about your programs, challenges and successes. Invite them to your art shows and events. If they attend, introduce them to the audience and thank them.
* Keep sharing the benefits of art education and its affect on learning and a positive school climate
* Let elected officials know that your political choices -- voting and making contributions -- depend on public support for arts education
* Go to this link and let them know how you feel:

        http://www.capwiz.com/artsusa/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=5424871

Effective advocacy depends on perseverance, networking, unity and numbers. Being an advocate for the arts is not just about keeping our jobs. It is remembering what it is to be a human being who cares about our children and their future.

We know that life has been enriched, defined, celebrated, preserved, and revitalized trough the arts. We know that studies maintain that art education helps children to focus, think critically and solve problems, aiding both social and intellectual development. We know the benefits of arts education. Our elected officials and school administrators should know them too."

Kay Broadwater

---