Re: Assignment Examples?

---------

From: Dave Haines (dhaines_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 12:00:02 PST

Here is another assignment from the past that I'm doing with my Art I Classes. I call it a 'Cut Photo Extension.' It's similar to the 'half-drawing' project (cut and paste half a photo and draw the rest). (I use portraits for this one). I also use portraits as the subject for the cut photo extension. The difference between the assignments is:
1. Only a small portion of the photograph is cut out with the cut photo extension. This cut out portion is pasted in place and the rest of the photo is drawn/shaded.
2. Once this first step has been completed, this drawing 'extended' on another sheet of drawing paper. (The drawing is pasted onto drawing paper and the image is 'extended' to show what else might be there (if the original photo were larger). I am using portraits as the subject for this one too. I'm also requiring that the extension step be imaginative/fantasy/humorous (not realistic) in nature.

Has anyone done a similar 'extended drawing' assignment? I'd be interested in seeing and sharing examples with my students!

Thanks,

Dave Haines
Grafton High