Re: color mapping AZ math standard

---------

From: Anne Rose-Phillips (arosephillips_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 12:40:50 PST

There's also a cool book called
Insides, Outsides, Loops and Lines by Herbert Kohl
that has a section on map coloring including activities for kids to
figure out the rules and games etc. (Apparently you never need more
than 4 colors)

It also has other drawing activities such as Sona dots drawings from
Africa, closed curves, stretched shapes and mobius strips. Altogether
an interesting book that blends mathematical principles with drawing.
Anne Rose-Phillips

> Original Question:
> I'm working with one of my fifth grade teams, and
> we're wondering if there are certain rules in order to
> tell how many colors you'll need without coloring it
> all in. Some standardized questions on a state test
> are worded in a way that asks the students what is the
> least number of colors they would need. One of the
> teachers has information that states you never need
> more than four colors.

One answer:
> See
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Four-ColorTheorem.html