artistic integrity and judging for kids

---------

From: Geoffrey McClain (skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 12 2005 - 08:22:28 PST

A loooong time ago when I was in high school (in the late 60's) one of my
drawings won first prize in our student art show. I had done a contour line
drawing of a dish drainer filled with dishes. It was just pencil on paper.
I was about 15 years old. I realized that if I stood near the drawing,
people would come by and comment on it - not knowing I was the artist.
After hearing a few people say that my drawing didn't deserve to win or that
"anyone could have done it", etc. I decided that it was best not to stand
near the drawing. I was still proud of it.

Sky in NJ

---