late night idea

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 20:19:31 PST

I'm just home from a grad class and one of my assignments is use a
story to help students explore responsibility and values. I came
across a site that I think may offer interesting possibilities for
visual responses.
STORIES BEHIND THE SONGS
> Did you know that Bruce Springsteen’s "Born in the USA" is not a
> flag-waving patriotic anthem, but rather a reflection on the plight of
> countless Vietnam Veterans as they struggle to adjust to civilian life
> while coping with the psychological and physical after-effects of war?
> Popular songs can be used in a classroom setting to
> illuminate a particular theme or topic leading students to new
> insights and understandings, writes John Chase, president of Musicians
> United for
> Songs In the Classroom (MUSIC). Songs create an emotional hook in the
> classroom environment and may be used as an instrument to introduce
> visual
> art, poetry, literature, historic documents, film, photographs, and
> other primary sources. This interdisciplinary reference guide will
> interest and
> engage both teachers and students as it examines the origins and
> inspiration for contemporary song lyrics.
>

> http://www.wpe.com/~musici/Introduction.html

I'm not sure what I'll use yet, but I hope to inspire some kind of
mixed media response.

(Judy D. this is a neat site for connections)

Patty

---