RE: color mapping AZ math standard

---------

From: Michael Gerrish (mrg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 19:34:14 PST

See
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Four-ColorTheorem.html

Michael Gerrish

Michael Gerrish, Artist and Educator
WhyART.com
159 1st St . Troy, NY 12180

518-366-2853 - Mobile Phone
888-814-0734 - FAX

mrg@whyart.com
-----Original Message-----
From: K A [mailto:arizkma@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 5:29 PM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: color mapping AZ math standard

Hello ~

We have some new math standards in elementary school
in Arizona that have to do with color mapping
(completely coloring all shapes in a picture so that
the same color doesn't touch itself, unless it's at
the corner of a shape).

I'm working with one of my fifth grade teams, and
we're wondering if there are certain rules in order to
tell how many colors you'll need without coloring it
all in. Some standardized questions on a state test
are worded in a way that asks the students what is the
least number of colors they would need. One of the
teachers has information that states you never need
more than four colors.

I can determine that if a shape is divided into two
parts and then entirely surrounded by a larger shape,
that you'd need to use three colors. Does anyone else
know of any specific rules like that? Thanks!

~ Kathleen

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."- Pablo
Picasso

---