RE: artistic integrity of teachers

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 06:02:01 PST

What scientist said: " If I have achieved greatness, it was because I
have stood on the shoulders of giants"? The improvement of mankind is
based upon building on the learning of others before you. Why would art
be any different?
Thanks..
Kathy

Interesting quote - I have come to realize the 'great lessons' I am coming
up with in my classroom over the years are being thought of in classroom
everywhere at the same time... so anything that I truly thought of as unique
really isn't... much like the science world. How many times are great
developments/discoveries announced where they truly belong to one
scientist/one country? It is really neat to watch as places all over the
world announce that they were working on the same thing. We are products of
our time.

As for copying - well you never read the same book twice - I never do the
same lesson twice. The students/class make-up have part ownership... new
materials (my answer to technology in the classroom) influence what we do...
an article I read may change my thinking, reflection makes it better. A
lesson is just an organism. On some of the rubrics I have done for the
other content teachers to incorporate art into an assessment strategy - the
last part is kind of like extra credit - how did you leave your thumbprint
on the assignment? What did you do to make it yours? I don't care if the
student incorporated other work into their product - where is their
thumbprint?

When I read about high schools and colleges running plagiarism software on
papers - I have to wonder if the questions were worded properly - they would
be no way that a student could cheat... I mean really - if we can all get
the same answer from the same place - why are we asking that question?
Ellen

---