[Fwd: Screamers]

---------

jean1_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 11:57:01 PST

When I do paper mache animals with 3rd graders, I have them do
the weight-bearing joints first. This means, paper mache the area
where the leg and body join(ours rarely have knees that bend); put
half of the strip of paper on the leg, half on the body. We continue
working on all the joints -- body to neck, neck to head, body to tail.
Only then do I permit them to paper mache the rest of the form. We
only use 2 layers: newsprint first, toweling last.

Occasionally there is a kid who uses too much glue, but most of
them use too little glue. We use cellulose glue like Metylan. It
should look shiny as they work, but not drippy. Paper should
darken as it absorbs the liquid.

This is my favorite project of them all!!! I hope yours goes well too!
Jeannie in PA, k - 5th

> From: jillart1@aol.com
> Date: 2005/03/10 Thu AM 11:19:09 EST
> To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
> Subject: Screamers
>
> I just started screamers this morning with my art club kiddos - 3rd
through 5th grade. I've never made a "screamer" before, but saw
some from this list. We have been rolling and crumpling
newspaper and taping. Is this the "right" way to begin? Rather
than paper mache, we will be using plaster craft and painting.
> Do any teachers who have done this project before have any
tips? I'm a bit concerned about the stability of the newspaper and
worried about whether it will support the plaster.
> I'll share pictures when when we finish. The kids are very
excited about this project!
> Jill in Colorado
>

> ---
jean1@dejazzd.com