Re: more on the conference why rubrics fail and 5 advanced drawing lessons

---------

From: knitzber (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 05:10:05 PST

Interesting points made regarding the efficacy of rubrics in
assessing artwork. I would suggest, however, that the
rubric itself might need to be redesigned in order to truly
embrace the creative aspect of the piece that it is being
used to evaluate. As a rubric is really a tool that is
developed to assess the success of a work on many levels
(which also, in evaluating student work, allows for the
growth of the skills of the student from the beginning to
the
end of the project including their ability to communicate
from their own unique perspective), it should be able to
accomodate the inherent creativity that is also evidenced
as a significant component. While one could design a set
of criteria that evaluates more of a copy / cookie cutter
level
of achievement in determining a level of acomplishment,
that, at least to me, falls significantly short of what we
ought
to be about in visual art education where significant
emphasis needs to be placed on personal voice.

Thanks for posting your notes. I think that this is a very
crucial discussion.

Kevan

---