more on the conference why rubrics fail and 5 advanced drawing lessons

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 03:25:27 PST

I hope the presenters are not offended that I am posting my notes and
reflections on the list. I have to write them up any ways to present when I
get my $50.00 check from them to pay for the conference. I would say this
is for our use only.

Why Rubrics Fail Barb Benseur presenter.-This presenter set an immediate
task, to evaluate a series of artworks A B C and started showing image. I
grades about 30 before I realized it was about something else. And that
some of the images were artworks by famous nonrepresentational artist.
Some warnings about rubrics, in the process of standardizing every thing we
may over look really good art, art out of the box. Some times rubrics
suppress creativity. Rubrics do not reward perseverance Art is not like
math.. Learner needs validation and positive feedback about their art. We
are creative individuals, much of a rubric simply does not reward that.
This was a 25 minute talk so it started some dialog.. There was a good
turn out and many people frustrated with rubrics simply not fulfilling what
they want from an evaluation system.

Teaching Advanced Drawing 5 lessons from Jennifer Cross & Nichelle Wilson
(seemed AP level)
Make drawing a daily activity.
“Day after day never fail to draw something everyday which however little
it may be will yet in the end be great” Cennini1390
write this quote in the front of their sketchbooks.
   Lesson one about line quality there is a hand out listing materials
Make marks upon marks using ebony. For 5 minutes. Then had the students
erase all the marks leaving shadows. Work into the drawing using French
curves and powdered graphite. Have them look at a variety of mark oriented
drawings.
  Lesson two negative space. suggested to look at the negative space in
parts of Guernica, remind negative space can be up to 40% of your drawing
view catcher.com has a nice viewfinder. Think of what you are looking at as
a wooden puzzle. Sample was stool with vase of flowers on it. SPACE HAS
SHAPE. (materials: viewfinder ,ink graphite newspaper) The one the kids
hate most to start but later say is the most useful. Need the viewfinder
to frame out subject. Instruct students to draw negative space only.
Showed some nice ones where they as a variable cut out the negative space
with newspaper gauging the figure. and laid it about the figure. Finished
off with the outline in black with bamboo brush.
  Lesson three Tone ( showed Rembrandt’s print Lazarus up form the dead)
using value explore tones, ink wash as well . “ Like getting into the house
through the back door” Suggested subject fabric pinned to a wall with
strong light source, or bags faces, hands “Tell them they have to earn the
right to draw lines.“ method: lay down a middle tone using powdered
graphite or charcoal. Tell students to use kneaded eraser to bind brightest
whites for first class. Then allow them to add tone using graphite or
charcoal to find the darkest darks. Avoid line or contour line ( materials:
powdered graphite or charcoal, encaustic crayon on gessoed paper,
crosshatching, ink wash)
  Lesson 4 gesture drawing method have students make a mark for head and
one for each foot. Then have them draw model by drawing everything at once
inside and out. Draw with two pencils one in each hand. Draw head LAST.
Think of slinkys as you draw. (Materials: pencil two pencils at once, ink
and wash, conte‘, charcoal, charcoal with Vaseline.)
  Lesson 5 location and Proportion putting it all together. Instruct
students to use viewfinder, sightlines and gesture to map out subject.
Outline objects and negative spaces in contrasting colors ( hills and
valleys) erase, rework, apply tone. (Materials viewfinder, charcoal,
colored chalk on good printmaking or watercolor.)
  General ideas- on the same page three figures one white chalk against
dark, dig back the outline, drew the figure with bits of masking tape.
tape, tones than removed the tape, draw with rubber cement let dry, tone
over it, remove cement, ink and wash, bamboo pen and ink. Draw on a long
scroll 15 minutes of figure over time left to right.
Draw what the figure is doing. Your body is your tool. Described how to
put the mark maker on a long stick and draw while standing up. They teach
about triangular composition, The spray paint all their still life and had
fun groupings mannequins and plastic lobsters…
  Ideas start a drawing pass it around turn things upside down, work the
whole lesson
  Source books; Drawing on Right side of Brain, Natural Way to Draw,
Midsummer Madness in Charcoal and Pastel.
  More Art images suggested Leonardo, Pollack

again my notes on the fly ,in a dark room: Randy
,

---