Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: horsehair pottery

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 12:37:26 PST

I watched a guy do a pit firing--actually over sort of a barbeque--using
micaecous clay--he waited till the pots looked orange and then threw on
some horsehair. Don't know if it requires low firing---higher temps
might burn it out completely--you get a mineral trace on the pot.

>>> 03/09/2005 6:52:23 AM >>>
I've never attempted it myself, but I know a woman who does use
on her pottery. Get this: she took her very first pottery class, on a
whim, at a community college just two years ago. She has been selling
work to galleries as fast as she can make it for over a year! She is
amazed at her success as I am; she's just one of these naturally

She orders cleaned horsehair. She uses oxides and burnishing to treat
surfaces of her pots, then presses individual strands into the clay (I
believe it's leatherhard or nearly so at this stage). When she fires
the horsehair burns off and leaves either a well-defined line or a
one, sometimes some smudgy, smokey patches.

I will probably see her at a crafts fair here in Tucson in a couple
 I'll ask her for more details if you want it.