Re: horsehair pottery

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 12:37:26 PST

I watched a guy do a pit firing--actually over sort of a barbeque--using
micaecous clay--he waited till the pots looked orange and then threw on
some horsehair. Don't know if it requires low firing---higher temps
might burn it out completely--you get a mineral trace on the pot.

>>> mwhiteaz@cybertrails.com 03/09/2005 6:52:23 AM >>>
I've never attempted it myself, but I know a woman who does use
horsehair
on her pottery. Get this: she took her very first pottery class, on a
whim, at a community college just two years ago. She has been selling
her
work to galleries as fast as she can make it for over a year! She is
as
amazed at her success as I am; she's just one of these naturally
gifted
people.

She orders cleaned horsehair. She uses oxides and burnishing to treat
the
surfaces of her pots, then presses individual strands into the clay (I
believe it's leatherhard or nearly so at this stage). When she fires
it,
the horsehair burns off and leaves either a well-defined line or a
blurred
one, sometimes some smudgy, smokey patches.

I will probably see her at a crafts fair here in Tucson in a couple
weeks.
 I'll ask her for more details if you want it.

Maggie

> DOes anyone have any experince with the process of horsehair and
> ceramics? Any helpful hints? Thanks!

---
leave-artsednet-20361K@lists.getty.edu
---