RE: Pinwheels for Peace

---------

From: Roberta McClanahan (rmcclanahan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 07:06:09 PST

Planning on participating:

Robbie McClanahan, Art Teacher

Shakamak Jr. Sr. High School,

R. R. 2, Box 42

Jasonville, Indiana, 47438

Thanks for the long advance notice!

________________________________

From: Ann Ayers [mailto:art304@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 10:27 PM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: Re: Pinwheels for Peace

Funny - I was just going to post the project to the list and saw Judy's
and Randy's posts (thanks!)

Here is the basic idea for Pinwheels for Peace:

Imagine, "whirled" peace...

In today's world, peace needs to become more than just a word. Today's
students are bombarded with television images, video games, music, and
magazine / newspaper articles that give importance to conflict and war.
Violence has become commonplace and accepted as part of our society and,
for some students, it is a way of life. It is our hope that through the
Pinwheels for Peace project, we can help the students make a public
statement about their feelings on
war/peace/tolerance/cooperation/harmony and, in some way, maybe, awaken
the public and let them know what this generation is thinking.

A pinwheel is a childhood symbol - it reminds us of a time when things
were simple, joyful, peaceful. A pinwheel is easily made using just
about any type of material, from copy paper, to thin plastic, to
lightweight metal. The stick of the pinwheel can be as simple as a
pencil or as intricate as a carved stick or metal rod. Pinwheels can be
made as small as one inch in diameter or as large as desired - limited
only by the creator's materials and motivation. Pinwheels can be minimal
or very complex - imagination, creativity (and a mild breeze) are the
only variables needed.

On International Peace Day, Sept. 21, 2005, everyone will "plant" their
pinwheels outside (at schools, museums, public places, etc.) as a public
statement and art exhibit/installation. The spinning of the pinwheels in
the wind will spread thoughts and feelings about peace throughout the
country and the world!

Please join us on International Peace Day, September 21, 2005 as we
create a visual public statement about peace.

For more information & pinwheel directions/templates visit
http://www.pinwheelsforpeace.com

_________

We are hoping that this goes national/global.... at this point, we have
no sponsors and we're relying on everyone to spread the word. At our
school, we're not just confining the project to the art classes - we're
going to have every student (1,600) in the school make at least one
pinwheel. We'll be encouraging the students to make more than one and on
Sept. 21st., plant some into the ground on their way to school. This
will, hopefully, generate interest and questioning about why so many
pinwheels are spinning, what's going on????

If anyone knows of any "famous" people (i.e. actors, actresses, singers,
sports stars, politicians, etc.) - we're going to send pinwheel
templates to those folks to have them participate. So, if you know of
anyone who fits the description of "famous" or important (aren't we
ALL??), let us know so we can get the template to them...

If you are going to participate, please let me know - we're going to
"track" the participation on a map on the website. (thanks, Randy, for
your commitment)

Also, if you do participate, please take pictures and send them to us so
we can post them on the site as well.

If you have any questions, ideas, or suggestions, please let me know...!

Oh, yeah, go to
https://www.oprah.com/plugger/templates/BeOnTheShow.jhtml?action=respond
&plugId=B2100004

and suggest that she do a show on pinwheels for peace - who knows, maybe
she will if zillions of art teachers write in. The more press we get on
this, the bigger it will be....

In advance, thanks for your support.

ann

---