Re: Chalk Sidwalk Painting - What to do at the end of the year

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 05:49:09 PST

My sidewalk chalk experience --

A couple of years ago I did a lesson where students drew a simple shape on a
transparency and we taped it into a cardboard mat and to a yardstick for a
stand.

Then we went out onto the blacktop in teams and the person looking through
the transparency had to direct the other students where to put the mark -
the best ones did dots first then connected them to make a huge bananna.

Then we marked where the "director" was standing - the perfect viewing spot,
and then went up into the gymnasium windows to look down and see how our
drawings were, actually, long and stretched out. The kids were SO proud they
begged to sign their names. They kept going back and forth, looking from
both points. Lots of brain activity going on.

The principal met me at the door the next morning and chewed me out for
teaching the kids vandalism.

---