Re: Pinwheels for Peace

---------

From: Ann Ayers (art304_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 19:26:56 PST

Funny - I was just going to post the project to the list and saw Judy's
and Randy's posts (thanks!)
Here is the basic idea for Pinwheels for Peace:

Imagine, "whirled" peace...
In today’s world, peace needs to become more than just a word. Today’s
students are bombarded with television images, video games, music, and
magazine / newspaper articles that give importance to conflict and war.
Violence has become commonplace and accepted as part of our society
and, for some students, it is a way of life. It is our hope that
through the Pinwheels for Peace project, we can help the students make
a public statement about their feelings on
war/peace/tolerance/cooperation/harmony and, in some way, maybe, awaken
the public and let them know what this generation is thinking.

A pinwheel is a childhood symbol – it reminds us of a time when things
were simple, joyful, peaceful. A pinwheel is easily made using just
about any type of material, from copy paper, to thin plastic, to
lightweight metal. The stick of the pinwheel can be as simple as a
pencil or as intricate as a carved stick or metal rod. Pinwheels can be
made as small as one inch in diameter or as large as desired – limited
only by the creator’s materials and motivation. Pinwheels can be
minimal or very complex – imagination, creativity (and a mild breeze)
are the only variables needed.

On International Peace Day, Sept. 21, 2005, everyone will "plant" their
pinwheels outside (at schools, museums, public places, etc.) as a
public statement and art exhibit/installation. The spinning of the
pinwheels in the wind will spread thoughts and feelings about peace
throughout the country and the world!

Please join us on International Peace Day, September 21, 2005 as we
create a visual public statement about peace.
For more information & pinwheel directions/templates visit
http://www.pinwheelsforpeace.com
_________
We are hoping that this goes national/global.... at this point, we
have no sponsors and we're relying on everyone to spread the word. At
our school, we're not just confining the project to the art classes -
we're going to have every student (1,600) in the school make at least
one pinwheel. We'll be encouraging the students to make more than one
and on Sept. 21st., plant some into the ground on their way to school.
This will, hopefully, generate interest and questioning about why so
many pinwheels are spinning, what's going on????

If anyone knows of any "famous" people (i.e. actors, actresses,
singers, sports stars, politicians, etc.) - we're going to send
pinwheel templates to those folks to have them participate. So, if you
know of anyone who fits the description of "famous" or important
(aren't we ALL??), let us know so we can get the template to them...

If you are going to participate, please let me know - we're going to
"track" the participation on a map on the website. (thanks, Randy, for
your commitment)
Also, if you do participate, please take pictures and send them to us
so we can post them on the site as well.

If you have any questions, ideas, or suggestions, please let me know...!

Oh, yeah, go to
https://www.oprah.com/plugger/templates/BeOnTheShow.jhtml?
action=respond&plugId=B2100004
and suggest that she do a show on pinwheels for peace - who knows,
maybe she will if zillions of art teachers write in. The more press we
get on this, the bigger it will be....

In advance, thanks for your support.

ann

---