Triangle book presentation & Rubrics presentation

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 17:02:12 PST

Triangle books by Ellen McMillan & Ann Ayers I loved these women. Their
presentation was fast paced & interesting . The presentation was done
digitally using some kind of I-movie on the screen to demonstrate an
INCREDIBLE number of techniques. 5 minutes into the presentation I
realized I had taken a work shop from them at the NAEA conference in NYC .
They have published a book Sculptural Book Making that Davis carries. I
bought a copy .

They have started pinwheels for peace, and asked every one present to take
a flyer and pass on the word. Next fall on Sept 21st/Peace day plantpin
wheels every where. Simple ones made with a dowel and a square of paper. On
the pin wheel have statements / art about peace. I really liked the
pro-active ness of the idea. You can go to pinwheelsfo peace.com. and down
load a simple template They suggested passing it on to anyone who may
help promote it and mentioned that Oprah.com has a place to suggest shows.
A show about it would really promote the idea http://pinwheelsforpeace.com/
Bubble paper- the MAGIC ingredient is the bubble mix that comes with the
wand. Notes canít replace the movie images. But they showed three
approaches to making bubble paper. Buy lots of the bubbles stuff. Pour
bubble mixture into a disposable roasting pan. Looks like an inch or more.
Add about a tablespoon of tempera. Stir than blow into it with straw to get
those bubbles lay paper on top. 2. Use plastic cups. Add the ingredients
and blow with straw until bubbles over flow. Press paper onto top. Keep
changing colors and repeating until you fill the paper. Use a variety of
colors. 3. Put color into the bubble bottle. Blow bubbles onto a sheet. Go
outdoors. Have one kid blow, another catch bubble son paper. Suggest to
the kids they wear black clothes. ( much laughter here)
Chalk Paper Marbling- Freart chalk from prang seems to be the only chalk
that works well for this
Scrape bits of various colored chalk onto water in a shallow pan.
Float paper on top and pick up image
Alternately you can slide paper under the water and lift it up.
You can draw lines into the chalk on the surface before catching the pattern
You can just dip edges to create a marbled border on 4 sides of paper.
Cheese Cloth Process-
Dye Paper-
Salt Resist-
Than two kinds of triangle books-
Phew. They really packed the presentation.

Why Rubrics Fail Barb Benseur presenter.
-This presenter set an immediate task, to evaluate a series of artworks A B
C and started showing image. I grades about 30 before I realized it was
about something else. And that some of the images were artworks by famous
nonrepresentational artist.
Some warnings about rubrics, in the process of standardizing every thing we
may over look really good art, art out of the box. Some times rubrics
suppress creativity. Rubrics do not reward perseverance Art is not like
math.. Learner needs validation and positive feedback about their art. We
are creative individuals, much of a rubric simply does not reward that.
This was a 25 minute talk so it started some dialog.. There was a good
turn out and many people frustrated with rubrics simply not fulfilling what
they want from an evaluation system.

---