National Boards - Are you ready?

---------

From: LaDonna Dixon (ldixon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 05:22:58 PST

Dear Fellow Art Teachers,
I earned my National Boards in 2002. It is a learning process. It is
enlightening. It is very time consuming. Be aware it takes time. Time to
write, time to rewirte and then again. You must reflect as you work in
order to be successful. My family was on hold many days and evenings as
I wrote drafts. I can rememeber my 6 year old daughter asking..."Are you
almost done, Mom?" haaaaa.... ;-) The NBC for art teachers consists of
two videos - (one, going through a single lesson from intro to
evaluation and one of students "talking" about art) The rest of the
portfolio includes a section decribing your professional accomplishments
and another section that outlines/(draws contrasts between students)
within a lesson. Funny....I spent the most time and thought I would make
the best scores on sections 1 and 4. It turned out I made the better,
high scores on my two video tapes (these sections - I spent the least
amount of time on and did each video in ONE TAKE! That's right! ONE
TAKE!!!!) I would be glad to give any tips to anyone who is READY to
undertake this PROCESS....Have helped many fellow art teachers.

LaDonna Dixon, NBCT
Visual Art Teacher
Round Top Elementary
803-691-8676 x. 3304

"What you do speaks so loud,
   I cannot hear what you say."
          Ralph Waldo Emerson
>>> eheisey@columbus.rr.com 03/08/05 6:52 AM >>>
Dear Cathy,
NB was the best thing that ever happened to my students. The program
was more than challenging...it was life altering for me. But I loved it
and it is possible to get through it. Many people on this list have
done it. You need a lot of support from your coworkers, a local support
group, and I had a lot of help online. I would be happy to help you
more if you decide it is for you.
Beth, NBCT'03

On Mar 7, 2005, at 10:07 PM, C GERSICH wrote:

> Has anyone out there gotten their NBPTS certification? I am
> contemplating applying for a scholarship and plunging into the program

> but wanted to hear from other art teachers what they think of it.
> Does anyone have any insight, opinions, experience...?
> Curious in Bellingham, Washington.
> Cathy

---
leave-artsednet-20361K@lists.getty.edu