Art of the Incas - lesson ideas from Tammi Fox

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 05:18:20 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

Tammi Fox sent me her lesson ideas she did for a week
long Art Camp studying art of the Incas. These lessons
ideas are designed for kindergarten through grade 2
(ages 5 to 7). I will be putting them on Increible Art
Department but thought I would share them the easy way
first.

Judy Decker
-------------------------

Submitted by: Tammi Fox

Unit: Empire of the Incas

Lesson Plan: “M” IS FOR MONKEY

Grade: K-2

Materials:

12x18 brown construction paper, pencils, Sharpies, oil
pastels

Procedures:

(We first looked at, discussed, and sketched the
monkey vessels in the gallery. Some of the monkeys
were wearing headbands and/or had geometric designs on
them, and most were in a human-like pose. This simple
lesson can be done with any animal.)

Draw a large monkey or vessel in the shape of a
monkey, then trace line drawing with Sharpie.
Geometric designs can be added. Color with oil
pastels. (I made my sample by repeating the letter “M”
all over the monkey to create an implied texture, but
the students just had fun experimenting with the oil
pastels and mixing new colors.

***************************************

Submitted by: Tammi Fox

Unit: Empire of the Incas

Lesson Plan: JAGUARS

Grade: K-2

Materials:

Cardboard (can be thin, like cut up cereal boxes),
scissors, glue, tempera paint and brushes

Procedures:

(We first drew step-by-step jaguars together by
following the steps from a How to Draw Animals book.
Then we looked through animal books and sketched
jaguars in various positions, such a leaping, running,
sitting on a tree limb, etc. Then we made sketches
from the wooden and ceramic jaguars in the gallery. We
also discussed jaguars’ unique spots: the “rosettes”
have spots in the center, unlike leopards’ spots.)

Draw and cut out each part of the jaguar separately
(body, legs, tail, a larger circle and overlapped
smaller circle to form the head, and ears). Glue
together. Paint. They let their imaginations run wild,
and very few of them actually used “normal” jaguar
colors!

***************************************

Submitted by: Tammi Fox

Unit: Empire of the Incas

Lesson Plan: PRINTING WITH ANIMALS

Grade: K-2

Materials:

styrofoam meat trays, scissors, pencils, glue,
brayers, tempera paint (or ink), white drawing paper

Procedures:

(We first sketched animal vessels in the gallery.)

Etch a drawing of an animal into a flat piece cut from
the tray. Use scraps from the styrofoam tray to make
stamps. We made jaguar spots/rosettes, but Inca
influenced geometric designs can be a theme for the
stamps. Do test prints, and use the proper technique
for printing (inking up a brayer, placing the paper on
top of the printing plate, etc.) and pull a print in
the center of the paper, or several prints depending
on sizes of paper and printing plate. Use stamping
technique (dip in paint) to make a border with the
stamps.

***************************************

Submitted by: Tammi Fox

Unit: Empire of the Incas

Lesson Plan: Mummy Bundle: MUMMY HEAD

Grade: K-2

Materials:

1’x3’ white felt (or other material), blunt metal
tapestry needles, white yarn, fiberfill stuffing,
tempera paint and brushes

Procedures:

Fold felt over and sew the 2 long sides. Turn inside
out. Stuff and shape the head, then tie yarn around
the neck. (The body can be stuffed and sewn shut, but
I leave it open like a hand puppet.) Paint the face.
Complete the mummy bundle with TUNIC, HEADBAND, and
WOVEN BELT.

***************************************

Submitted by: Tammi Fox

Unit: Empire of the Incas

Lesson Plan: Mummy Bundle: HEADBAND

Grade: K-2

Materials:

White drawing paper, colored pencils, feathers,
stapler

Procedures:

Cut white paper into a large strips- length and width
will vary depending on size of MUMMY HEAD. Draw and
color geometric designs. Glue feathers. Staple
together so it slips onto the top of the MUMMY HEAD.

***************************************

Submitted by: Tammi Fox

Unit: Empire of the Incas

Lesson Plan: Mummy Bundle: TUNIC

Grade: K-2

Materials:

1’x 2’ blue felt, 9’’x 9’’ red felt, white felt,
scissors, glue, tempera paint and brushes

Procedures:

Cut an “X” opening in the center of both the blue and
red felt. Position the red felt in the center of the
blue felt, turn it so it makes a diamond (rhombus),
and glue it in place. With pencil and ruler, draw a
square grid on white felt to make 10 squares (approx 1
˝- 2 inches each). Paint a geometric design on each
square, cut them apart, and glue on the front side of
the tunic. Stick the MUMMY HEAD through the “X” hole,
add WOVEN BELT.

***************************************

Submitted by: Tammi Fox

Unit: Empire of the Incas

Lesson Plan: Mummy Bundle: WOVEN BELT

Grade: K-2

Materials:

telephone wire, string, matbaord strip (length and
width can vary), masking tape, scissors

Procedures:

Make a loom from the mat board by cutting 4 notches at
each short end, then warp with the string, and tape
down the ends. Wire should be cut in a length in which
it can be woven across once, and then bent to wrap
around the back. Of course every other row should be
alternated (under/over, then over/under), but it’s OK
if several wires in a row do not alternate from the
ones next to them, as this is a difficult concept for
some students and the belt can be completed
regardless. Wrap the completed belt around the TUNIC
and secure with a few wires which are cut long enough
to wrap several times around.

***************************************

NOTE: I taught a week-long art camp at the Orlando
Museum of Art during the summer of 2004. These lessons
were done with 5 through 7 year olds. The theme was
“Empire of the Incas”. These lessons were appropriate
based on the artifacts in the museum. They have many
animal vessels, including a case dedicated to jaguars
and another dedicated to monkeys. Though all of these
lessons can be adapted in many ways, and most of the
activities are things we’ve all done many times, I put
this together all in one place because I was STUMPED
at first when handed the Inca theme and hope that
putting this on the internet will help someone else
who is handed an Inca unit and doesn’t know where to
start! I did not include the objectives in the
lessons, though many visual art benchmarks are covered
throughout the unit through the use of a wide variety
of materials and techniques, and of course the obvious
cultural connections. Feel free to contact me with
questions- put “Empire of the Incas” in the subject
line.

jatafox@yahoo.com

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!