beginning Pen and Ink ideas

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 03:40:40 PST

We have the lesson Camouflage the squares.
the prep work involves the teacher searching sources for nicely varied pen
and ink works and cutting them into bits. I made irregular pieces about 1
x1 inch. then I make sure they can not be easily re assembled by breaking
the original into 4 shoe boxes that circulate the room.

You can do any variation. We have student select 2-3 bits, glue stick them
down randomly on a 5x5 or 6x6 square of paper. First with pencil than late
with dip or 21 century pens. Develop an artwork that first camouflages the
edges/merges the edges into a larger artwork. "jump started" by the pieces.
Student usually just let the picture develop.

Of course the mean art teacher wants 4 or more types of textures and 4 or
more ways to create tone dots stipple hatching cross hatching etc. *I have
them do an art lab practicing marks before we do this unit. The students
really value these art works and every one seems to get something out of
them.

Randy in Maine

---