Re: Job resignation: Whats next? Many Thanks!

---------

From: Cathy Gaul (allgaul_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 18:57:37 PST

Diane, and all,
Thanks so much for all your kind words and encouragement! I feel like I am truly among friends here. All I know at the moment is that I am done at my present school, and what is to come, will reveal itself (with a little hard work!) and I do truly believe that when a door closes, a window opens.
My work history: 5 years in a public school right out of college, then 11 years off for my kids (one with a disability), then 16 years at this school...time to try something new! I don't leave bitterly, this was the BEST job in the whole world for a very long time. It was the job where, when things were overwhelming at home, it was the place to go to take your mind off the hard stuff.
Someone told me about a book (more like a pamphlet) about school system challenges and change called "If You're Riding a Horse and It dies, Get off" by Jim Grant, Char Forsten, Nathan Bundy (Illustrator).
The faculty at my school have all been trying to beat this dead horse we all loved so much. The new administration is trying to get a new horse to go. None of us like that horse too much yet, nor how it is being trained and how they treat us 'stable hands'.

At least I know what to do about that, now to find a new horse in a new pasture!

Problem is, I am just good at this art teaching thing and it's hard to stop doing something you are good at!
After looking at the want ads today in the Sunday paper, there are other things out there. I even saw a few openings for art in some schools not too far away. But I am not going to limit myself this time and really take a look to see what other path I might take.
Until then, I am still going to do this art teaching thing the best way I can and be happy to hear the kids say in the hall, "Tr. Cathy, what are we going to do this week? I can't wait!"
Parents and kids don't know yet, I have asked the head of school to keep it confidential and only post the job via email until after spring break, so I can just operate business as usual for a while yet.
Stay tuned...

and thanks again everybody!

Cathy

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.