Re: Kids are great

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 12:18:06 PST

On Mar 6, 2005, at 2:29 PM, Woody Duncan wrote:

> Patricia Knott wrote:
> > I am very lucky. I
>> have a an entire "art hall" -- 4 beautiful huge rooms -- a photo
>> room, a ceramics/crafts room, a Fine arts room, and a computer lab
>> equipped with an interactive whiteboard.
>
> You are in art teacher heaven.
> Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
> Please don't tell us that you teach in all 4 rooms
> at the same time.

Nope, only 3. I run up and down the hall all day asking "where'd I put
THAT?"
  Luckily, only art is in this hall. I really am in art heaven. I 'll
get it figured out in about a year. Only bad thing is that this big
beautiful new building is already too small. I have 4 art teachers at
the high school. One hasn't moved up to the new yet, while the old
building is being renovated. Once she comes, I don't know how I will
schedule all the classes for the designated rooms. I see myself doing
what I have always done -- teaching AP Art in the photo room. I'm
afraid heaven will only last for a short time.

Patty
p.s. Actually my original design was that the rooms had interior
access to each other. I wanted "art centers", so that each teacher's
strengths could be utilized and we would team teach. i.e my strength
is drawing and painting and photo, my colleague is great with
printmaking and ceramics, another is a wiz with crafts. I wanted it to
be that kids could go from strength to strength, no matter who the
teacher was. The architects didn't see it my way. As a department we
all cooperate with each other and if i have a kid who wants to do the
printmaking project the other teacher is doing we find a way . Centers
of learning will always be my ideal art department. I have a few AP
kids taking metals classes in the industrial arts department and we
find a way for the work to count for both. Someday maybe all will see
that schools are cooperative communities and not little boxes.

---