RE: Greek Pottery

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 11:12:23 PST

Hi Kathleen,

Here in Tampa there is a most excellent collection of Greek pottery. I just took our 5th grade there last week for a field trip.

http://www.tampagov.net/dept_museum/Collections/Antiquities/index.asp
<http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/>

The pottery we saw is quite orange. If you go to the second 'page' of the site you mentioned, the objects labelled Oxford, Ashmolean Museum (1974.344) look pretty true to the colors I saw in our museum. If you use orange ( terra cotta red) paper, that would be the closest to the pottery we saw here in Tampa.

 I just learned on our trip that white clay was used for funerary vessels. It struck me since before our field trip, we made 2 tiny clay vessels - one out of white clay and one out of red clay. The students saw some slides of pottery decorations (not focusing on the figures in the middle) and painted similar decorations on the clay with black underglaze. They dipped them in clear glaze. The tiny vessels turned out great.

 Your project sounds fun! Did you consider having them include a scene out of Greek mythology in their print? It would certainly get across the black figure/red figure idea. I am not sure what type of paint would work over the ink. Acrylic? Perhaps they could paint the figures first?

 Do share pics of your students' work! I would love to see it.

Jan

        Here's my question: How red was the red color on some of the pieces?

         Another question - what kind of paint will work well on top of the printing ink and construction paper?

        By the way, the Beazley Archive has an extensive collection of pieces to view http://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/Pottery/Ashmolean/Script/default.htm.
        ~ Kathleen

        "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

        - Pablo Picasso

  _____

        Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!