Greek Pottery

---------

From: K A (arizkma_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 09:01:27 PST

I have been researching Greek pottery because a sixth grade social studies teacher wants to coordinate a project with me.

Here's my question: How red was the red color on some of the pieces? In photographs it mostly looks like a dull terracotta red or goldish color. I'm wondering if that's the ancient coloring, or if it was brighter in the past.

I'm trying to fit this project in with another media that I wanted to use this semester, so I've decided to have the students carve (on that stuff that's softer than linoleum) a pottery shape, then print it with either black or red ink (on red or black paper). I'm wondering if I should use the regular red ink or mix it with some yellow. Likewise, I'm trying to decide if I should use red construction paper, or a shade of gold. Finally, after printing, I want students to paint the details on the print. Another question - what kind of paint will work well on top of the printing ink and construction paper?

Whew - yes, I'm trying to touch on many topics and techniques in one project! Thank you for your help (as well as the links on the Incredible Arts Department). By the way, the Beazley Archive has an extensive collection of pieces to view http://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/Pottery/Ashmolean/Script/default.htm. Judy, you might want to add that to your resource list.

~ Kathleen

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!