Re: Job resignation: Whats next?

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 08:36:34 PST

> Hi Woody,
> I have been in 'deep background' lately with no time for sharing. ....

> That being said, I have given my notice at my job. I will finish out the
> year and then I am done at the place that was 'home' for so long. .....

> I have a PA. permanent certification, but not NJ. I would need to take
> the Praxis exam as well. I graduated college in '75.
> I am feeling pretty overwhelmed at this point and ready for a new
> adventure, but I am spinning my wheels. Anybody have any
> advice/recommendations?

> Cathy in NJ

Cathy,
        With lots of us "old folks" retiring, there are job opportunities out
there. I've never had to take a test like
"Praxis" but since you have been in the field gaining knowledge
you should be able to pass it easily. Why not try. Compared to
most of the country, the pay in NJ is out of site. Of course the
cost of living is too. Consider relocating to the part of the country
you might like to retire in. Just go there early and get a teaching
position. I think most states require tests, but as I said an
experienced teacher should breeze through any test. I'm sure
they have sample or practice tests so you could prepare for
the content beforehand. Someone out there who is familiar
with these test should correct me. Good luck, keep teaching art,
don't give up and get a real job.
                        Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons