Re: K-8 Art in a WOW school

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 08:14:52 PST

Paulette Clee wrote:
> I am looking for feedback on what works for a K-8 curriculum. Our
> district is opening a new WOW school "Working On the Work". This school
> is to be modeled after renowed school reformer Phillip Schlechty. The
> WOW framework is an outline for improving student performance by
> improving the quality of work across the curriculum. Student population
> will be about 1,500. There will be 7 sections in grades K-5 and 2 teams
> each for 6, 7, and 8th grades. What would be a reasonable rotation for
> classes?

I'm not sure what you mean by "reasonable rotation" for classes.
I would push for art, twice a week, 45 - 50 minute classes for
K-5, then perhaps 90 minutes once each week by 6th grade. For
7 and 8 I would push for full year classes (90 min) every other
day perhaps rotating with music or some other enrichment class.
Time should equal "quality" if utilized properly. "Quality"
of work or performance seems to be the goal of the program.
Push for lots of display space; showcases, boards, strips,
and if at all possible a student gallery. Quality art needs
to be displayed well to reinforce a program.
                Good Luck, Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703