RE: Scholastic's new cost for entries

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 05:30:30 PST

You know, I have been reading these posts about the fees, and Lydia's
message below points out a concern of mine. As the fees become more and
more common, it will keep many schools out of the running for the
Scholastic and other competitions. Possibly many of those schools which
are unable to participate will represent similar economic and cultural
groups. To a degree, it's an economic sorting - those who have and
those who do not. That is of a concern since we should all recognize
that art knows no boundaries. I sincerely hope that an alternative will
be found that will even out the playing field. My students are young -
elementary, and I work at a very well-to-do private school. However, my
own children attend a public school - a magnet in the inner city. My
previous school was in semi- urban elementary setting. Money was always
an issue, even just for supplies - as has been previously mentioned in
this discussion. Having gone from one economic end to the other in 2
jobs, I am acutely aware of these differences, particularly the
economic. Hand in hand with the economic differences are cultural
differences - sharing that must not be lost to the mainstream of the art
world.
 Jan