Re: Scholastic's new cost for entries

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 14:35:56 PST

> I was planning to enter student work in the Scholastic contest this year for
> the first time, but decided not to when I saw the fee. I teach in an inner
> city school, and pretty much the only way for the entries to happen would
> have been for me to pay the fees out of pocket .........
> - Lydia Horvath
> Toledo, OH

Lydia,
        I understand, but it's your students who loose out.
Many years I paid out of pocket, sometimes I got the principal
to reimburse me. Consider going to your principal, your art
administrator, or your School Board. You should also consider
some sort of fund raising for future needs. Part of being a
teacher (besides being under paid) is digging into our own
pockets to keep a quality program going. We wish it were
different, but I doubt it will change soon.
                        Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
30 years ago I took a 50% cut in pay to be a teacher.
Lucky for me I had an understanding spouse, with a real
job, with better pay and benefits like health insurance.

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703