Re: Scholastic's new cost for entries

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 10:00:59 PST

Dear Joe,

        Is nothing in education the same as it used to be? How very cheesy that
Scholastic must demand pay for play. It could be a bad precedent as I
suspect it will only open the floodgates for a lot of other competitions to
begin to charge as well.
        Like you, it will not stop me from entering, and for some of my students,
it will be a hardship. So, I will fundraise or underwrite as will hundreds
of others. It would seem to be easier for the Scholastic organization to
find an additional foundation to underwrite its increased costs.
        In my region, I may enter 12 pieces plus any portfolios we have. The $150,
on average, is quite a gamble and quite a lot of money. For some school
budgets, it is a major dent. I don't know about the rest of you, but my
budgets have not increased in five years, but the cost of supplies
certainly has. I already spend about $5.00 per entry to mat and wrap the
work. It would certainly go down easier to be assessed only for regional
entries that go on to national adjudication, or for awarding the keys.
Assessing $5.00 to be rejected is an applicable life-lesson for a artist,
but schools are not businesses. We have no way to generate extra cash nor
do we "make money" by entering or selling our work.
        I'm getting angrier as I write this. I guess you could say that I do not
like the idea; not one little bit.
                Christa

---