Scholastic's new cost for entries

---------

From: Joe Applebaum (Joe.Applebaum_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 08:49:40 PST

Hi all. Have you heard about The Scholastic Art Awards new policy on
cost per student? I'm on our local steering committee and just found
out that they will be charging $5 per piece and $20 per portfolio for
entries. I was wondering what any of you feel about this. I have used
this show along with our state show as a springboard for students
interest, and of course a way for them to get excited about their work.
  I teach in a school district that has a wealthier community than many,
so I'm sure many of my kids would enter. I have also taught elsewhere
where the entry fee could be a problem for students. I think that this
is going to preclude a lot of students from entering, and I'm sure some
teachers won't want to bother with dealing with the money. Anyway, all
Scholastic folk know how you feel, along with art teachers from my
region. Thanks,
Joe

---