RE: what we do best

---------

From: mary maloney johnson (maloneymk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 21:14:59 PST

Hi Patty and other Pack Rats,

I'm one. I loved what you said, Patty. I start feeling isolated by the
"difference" of art sometimes. I have been watching the transformation of
one of my schools as a large beautiful new wing is added and I am
inheriting a room from a science teacher after 21/2 years of carting.
They've spent an incredible amount of money and some teachers who are
getting the "most" are also allowed time out of their schedules to set up
their rooms. For art the principal was surprised to have to do anything
more than provide a room... for instance scissors, a paper cutter, and
drying racks (not to mention the plethora of other things that would make a
good art room). No... the oldest, closest to falling apart furniture is
mine. I told my daughter the other day that 50 dollars worth of scissors
for the art room will end up being a more long lasting investment than the
thousands upon thousands for new computers in the lab... ten years from now
we'll still use the scissors and the computers will be trash. In the mean
time the teachers have only dysfunctional, slow, nearly useless computers
to use in our rooms. I am happy to at least have a room.... but sometimes
the decisions made by our superiors are mindless.

Kathy

---