RE: Mad Hunter

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 21:12:50 PST

Here, here! Well put, Patty. It amazes me how so many teachers in other
areas of the curriculum continue to look upon authentic assessment as some
'new' tool for involving students in the educational process. In Minnesota
we spent years trying to get the Profile of Learning established that
employed authentic assessment as a key component, only to have a vocal and
distrustful 'back to basics' portion of the population bring down much of
the proposed reconfiguration of how students were being taught because it
was felt to be too unwieldy and expensive of a process. The truth was that
too few people who were in charge of administering the changes truly
understood what they were and how to successfully communicate them without
creating a mountain of paperwork that truly brought down that particular
house of cards. However, we continue to have students achieve significant
success through assessing work using criteria that is authentic and
significant to the development of both their understanding of what is being
taught and the acquisition of skills through that particular learning
dynamic (in addition to the hands on component that is equally essential to
the learning process).

None of this is at all 'new' news to the ArtsEdNetters here, of
course....lol!

Kevan

---