NAEA Conference - Visit these presentations

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 15:34:32 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

Site updates took me MUCH longer than I anticipated. I
didn't get around to doing an Art News feature about
list members presenting at NAEA Conference in
Boston....Best wishes to all of you and I hope you
have a full house. Here is the list of presenters (my
apologies if I missed someone).

Nicole Brisco
NAEA Conference 2005
Road Tested AP Concepts: Part III
Saturday 8:00 a.m.

Nicole has an Art Room on IAD - check it out.
------------------------------------

Barry Lucy
3D design portfolio issues and
recruiting diverse student populations.
Sunday, 8:00 am for 3D presentation with Pat Lamb and
Steve Willis
Tuesday, 8:00 am. for multicultural issues with Steve
Willis and Quiquia Calhoun. Title of the 3D is "Lost
in Space" and Steve is facilitator for the multi, so
he would have the title for it. I am
part of the panel on that one.
Barry Lucy

---------------------------------

Rachel Smith
Monday 8:00 a.m. - 8:50 a.m.
Censorship in Public Schools
112 Hynes C.C., Plaza Level
--------------------------------

Sandra Snyder

329-"Famembering Ova Deh!"-Gullah Roots

An interdisciplinary arts exploration of the West
African cultural roots of
the

Gullah Geechee people will be presented through active
participation in mask

making, music, and dance. Participants will use paper
sculpting techniques

create masks with West African designs and will learn
basic Mande dance

movements.

Presented by: Susan J. Slavik with Sandra Snyder,
Jennifer Cook

Ticket Fee: $30.00 Limit: 25

****************************8

Sun 2:00 PM to 2:50 PM

Professional Development 201 Hynes C.C., 2nd. Level

Trips and Tips for Curriculum Development/CI

This slide show presentation will touch on our
experiences for professional
development as well as

development of standards based lesson plans though
world experience from
travel.

Presented by: Susan J. Slavik with Diane Bucci,
Jennifer Anthony, Sandra
Snyder

---------------------------------------
Harold Olejarz

Sat 8 am George Szekely - The Video Art of Children -
My essay Capturing the Moving Present: Digital Video
in the Art Room is included in Video Art for the
Classroom edited by George Szekely. The
book is being published by the National Art Education
Association and George asked me to present along with
him and several others who are included in the book.

Sat 3:00 PM to 3:50 PM
Technology 206 Hynes C.C., 2nd. Level
Digital ImagesÑFrom Pixels to Prints/ALL
Presented by: Harold Olejarz

Mon 4:00 PM to 4:50 PM
Technology 311 Hynes C.C., 3rd. Level
Digital Video in the Artroom/ALL
Presented by: Harold Olejarz
-------------------------------

Jane Beckwith in Brooklyn.

I have put in a long post on the Nudity strand. My
research this year has mostly dealt with what I call
"Teachers Who Can..." They are ones who have found
methods to present difficult subject matter
or images. I have found some conditions that allow for
such exploration, as well as impediments. I hope
anyone interested in sharing their experiences will
come to one of the three Roundtables. They are on
Saturday, 7-9:30. Each one lasts about 45
minutes.

Deborah Kramer
I am presenting an I-movie workshop on Sunday March 6,
2 pm, at the conference
--------------------------------

Linda Kieling
Monday 5:00 - 5:50 313 Hynes CC 3rd level
East Coast/West Coast: Middle School Art Students
Construct Problems, Make and Communicate Meaning (with
Margaret Johnson and Susan Cooper)

-------------------------------------

Maggie White
Sat., 8 a.m
Don't Just Survive--Thrive! It's about my first
year as a middle school teacher, with some tips on
management and surefire lessons that win them over.
----------------------------------

Joani Share
Art Advocacy
"The Cutting Edge"- Tuesday March 8th
from 11:00 to 11:50 Room 104 Hynes C.C., Plaza Level
-----------------------------------

Ann Ayers
Ellen McMillan and I will be presenting 3 workshops

Friday, 10:00 - 10:50
The Triangle Transformed—A Unique Sculptural Book!

Friday, 5:00 PM to 5:50 PM
"Pages"—Inside the Artist Sketchbook

Sun 4:00 PM to 4:50 PM
ArtTech—Art Teachers Going Digital!
------------------------------------

Kay Broadwater
I am presenting at 8:00 am on Saturday morning:
Patterns from Arabia to the Renaissance.
All are welcome.

-------------------------------------

TAB Choice Presentations

Fri 10 AM Cathy Topal - Building blocks of
architecture
Fri 4 Pm Clyde Gaw & Clark Fralick - Transition to
choice-based art teaching (TAB)
Sat 8 am George Szekely - the video art of children
Sat 4 pm Peter London holistic art education
Sun 8 am Clyde Gaw and Clark Fralick - electronic
portfolios and choice (TAB)
Sun 11 am - Diane Jaquith and John Crowe - authentic
collaboration (TAB)
Sun 4 pm Kathy Douglas, Cathy Topal, Bob Hepner -
Panel discussion on the power of objects (TAB
connection)
Mon 8 am - Diane Jaquith - This is not art, this is
engineering: found object sculpture (TAB)
Mon 2 pm - John Giordano and John Crowe - nurturing
the artist/teacher

Saturday 5-7 pm Salon reception "Boox&Dex&Box with
George Szekely et. al sponsored by TAB

Friday-Tuesday (hours TBA) "Art from Choice-Based
Schools" exhibit at the Arnheim Gallery, Mass.
College of Art, Huntington Avenue (near conference)
Work from 17 schools in 6 states, accompanied by
photos, multimedia and student artist statements.
--------------------------------

Pam Stephens
Dropping in on Picasso (Pam Stephens) - screening of
my new video, "Dropping in on Picasso" and some tips
how to use the video in the classroom; lesson
summary to use with the video will be provided
1:00 - 1:50 Friday

Outreach as Advocacy (Pam Stephens with undergraduate
pre-service students Kim Lincoln, Shelly Scott, and
Susan Stark) - Overview of outreach programs
that pre-service students at Northern AZ University
provide to the community; introduction to the research
they are conducting; handouts
provided
2:30 - 2:55 Sunday

Enjoy the conference all! Bring back all of those good
ideas and share with us.

Judy Decker