Mad Hunter

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 14:49:57 PST

Woody replied:
> Back when our district had money enough to spend on such foolishness
> we paid Madelaine to speak to the district staff. Her words of wisdom
> were sound, but I thought: this is the way art teachers teach all the
> time.

My district still uses her model for observations. I fight and argue
all the time "she's dead you know?" When I first staring teaching 12
years ago, after being a practicing artist for 20 some years and that
many years from a methods class, I was dumbstruck by teaching methods
that have always been the artist model. Things like portfolios and
critique, etc.
I'll never forget one time when I was observed during a critique and
the principal said "I've never seen anything like this. wow" I didn't
know what to say because that's all I know.
I continue to bring my artist ways to the classroom. I think artists
invented authentic assessment. and we always had multiple ways of
judging. I didn't know anything but a rubric when I first started
teaching.
I think if we continue to bring the artist way, we will be always ahead
in innovation and truly teaching critical thinking...
oh and there is another thing - when my district started basing
observations on critical thinking questioning, I wondered how much
higher do they want me to get? Then I realized other teachers weren't
asking the kinds of questions I do. So I keep asking higher and
higher.

Consistently people ask for advocacy statements about art. When I have
a critique and the kids verbalize how they found their way through the
process, well that's all I need. I don't need no thousand dollar
consultant. My kids say it all.

Patty

---