Re: what we do best

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 12:20:31 PST

Patricia Knott wrote:
> For those of you old enough to know the Madelaine Hunter lesson plan
> format -- well I'm monitoring and adjusting and
> I think that is what we art teachers do best
> we deal with the situation, we hunt and pick and make do with what is
> available. We find curious and creative uses for other's junk and
> when faced with things like art on the cart we make it happen. Art
> doesn't have to come from any fancy materials... art comes from using
> what is not so fancy and making it something else.
> Patty

Back when our district had money enough to spend on such foolishness
we paid Madelaine to speak to the district staff. Her words of wisdom
were sound, but I thought: this is the way art teachers teach all the
time. What's new and revolutionary about this. Of course I found that
not all teachers taught as art teachers do. What a shame, they should
quit and get a real job if they are not intimately involved with the
kids we are teaching.
                        Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons