Re: Alternate project as a consequence for misbehavior

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 06:34:29 PST

Marcia, I really envy your process. It sounds great How did you get the "dean" to sign on to this?

I can't send kids to the principal's office at all. It is a never-do.

I can send them to the vice-principal's office IF there is a discipline (as in disruptive behavior) problem I haven't been able to solve through detentions and parental contact, or if there is physical violence. There is no way I could send them for a kid not doing work without being reprimanded for it.

The parents in question do not care about my class at all, failing my class has no consequences as far as they can see. It doesn't count towards retention. They say what they think I want to hear, then do nothing.

I can't keep a kid from participating in activities, either. I can give them an F for the week, only on Thursdays, and after 2 weeks of an F they might miss a sports activity, but if they aren't in sports it really doesn't apply, it doesn't apply to clubs or assemblies or apparently band or cheerleading or field trips.

Oh, and I am not allowed to send kids outside my classroom to work, like in the cafeteria. they have to stay in the room, which is small. I got a couple of desks for "isolation" and it was pointless since the desk was 2 feet from the worktables.

I have to deal with motivation issues in my class alone. That's why I'm nagging for ideas beyond calling parents and sending to the principal, because while obviously I know those are the best ways, I don't have that type of support.

I'll print yours out and use it for inspiration though.

---