Re: Grade Boosters

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (eheisey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 03:52:19 PST

Randy,
With my advanced students, I have been doing artist introductions (what
the artist does and why). Powerpoints of their work, maybe 10 examples
of it. Students take some notes on characteristics of the work, and do
a daily response of 3 (just 3! They work hard for just 3) thumbnail
discussion. The discussion and their responses are to be on 4 levels:
technical, thematic, context, and purpose of art. Then after 3-5 days
of solid input/reflection like this (3 handouts, 9 thumbnails) i set
them free in the studio and tell them to develop one of their
thumbnails. I give them a week, with a weekend to finish up. Sometimes
this is just not enough time, but 2 weeks kind of drags. This is sort
of an inquiry, I would say. Some of them work 'in one of the artist's
styles, some try to capture his vision, or his theory of art Generally.
I think it is very stimulating.
Beth

On Mar 31, 2004, at 5:51 AM, Randy Menninghaus wrote:

> So my question... how many High School teachers use independent time?
> What succeeds, what hasn't, in your opinion...

---