Grade Boosters

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 02:51:38 PST

Yesterday's thread got me thinking about this. I have held the belief that
independent time is an essential part of high school art. However how it
is introduced and how it is evaluated are critical to whether it is a
meaningful experience. I have recently changed it to the name Grade Booster
at the entry art one course level, and we can usually get one in the third
or fourth quarter. During this 5-7 day experience they select own subject
matter and own media. Most students are successful with it. some seem the
lowest denominator like copying Disney images... but I stress that
"artists" create art for them selves. And art needs to come form "within".
Grade boosters become independent portfolio building in the upper classes.
With the aim to increase the time. I am monitoring a 2 1/2 week one right
now with my Art 3's. It is the longest time yet.So far they are moving from
experience to experience well. I did have my concerns with the two that did
origami for 4 days. But they tired of it, hit the wall, and moved to making
more portfolio worthy art. ( Phew, I believe some of them are actually so
smart that were testing limits...)
So my question... how many High School teachers use independent time?
What succeeds, what hasn't, in your opinion...

---