elgin marbles

---------

From: Jeannie Sandoval (jensando_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 07:14:12 PST

About 5 years ago I did a classroom discussion with
the 6th graders on the Elgin marbles.

To get the kids 'in the mood' as they came in the room
I was walking back and forth messing my hair up and
acting worried. I told them "I've lost my Marbles!"
They were freaking out! (I enjoyed it) haha
I used the opaque projector and blew up about 8 of the
marbles on yellow border paper. I hid them around the
school. I made up clues about the location of each
marble and gave them to the groups in the class. I was
sneaky about my clues too. Unfortunately I didn't get
my clue cards back from the students but anyway, after
they returned, I read the story I had found about the
marbles to the kids- both sides of the story- Englands
and Greece.

Then, I had the room 'vote' for who deserved to keep
them. Each group had a ring leader and they had to
convince me they deserved it. They got in front of the
class and had to talk to the other group. It was
amusing watching them plead with them to give back the
marbles. The next day, each group wrote a letter to
Greece and England consulates (found the address
online) and the letter was signed by each student in
the class and we mailed them. Wish I could say I heard
back from someone, but we didn't.

 I can say the kids had a blast and I was able to
throw in art history without them even realizing it.
Maybe this may help some of you. I did this during the
last week of school - makes a great filler and no
mess!! I know there are other pieces of art that have
been considered stolen. I will look for them on my
disks. If I find it I will share with all of you.

Have a great week- 4 days til Spring Break!!
Jeannie in GA