Have u taught "Drawing on the Rigt Side of the brain"

---------

From: Justin Kramer (bern30_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 19:32:24 PDT

Has any designed a structured drawing courses based on Betty Edward's
program Drawing on the Right Side of the brain? I see all of the pros in
doing this but do not have the foresight to identify the cons.

The reason I am investigating this is to increase student confidence,
success and retention rates against the "I can't do this, I hate art"
scenario - especially with drawing. I am also hoping that this will have a
flow on effect to 3D - is there a similiar program for 3D modeling.

I realise initially the aim of this program is to heighten visual awareness
and the depiction of realism - which doesn't always complement programs
which are more fluid and open to the depiction of the world around us -
however I am finding students desire and feel that they need and require
this ability - and generally we would expect a good art student to have it
too - however many celebrated artists as well as we all know can't draw and
isn't essential in making brilliant art.

Not to sound too negative but comparison between the years of teaching I am
finding that students are now coming to us more needy and less independent,
appearing to be lazy thinkers, however this contradicts their home life
where they are very much self-reliant due to dual working parents. Most of
these, if not all, have very low drawing ability. This may sound as though I
an convince myself but I hoping for a more experienced voiced from someone
who has or tried to implement the full-version of this program.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

Justin

---