Re: Painting on Aluminum Question

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 03:21:26 PST

Joe, years ago I painted on the aluminum sheeting used as chimney flashing.
I used spray paints and masking tape, which resulted in abstract designs.
You may want to make sure there is no oil film on the metal before you
paint by washing it with some type of solvent. I suppose if you roughened
the surface a bit with an abrasive, acrylic paint would probably work, if
you're not placing it outside.

Judie

>Hello everyone,
>
>I recently went to a gallery and saw some paintings done on aluminum and
>since then I have been looking for information on this technique. My
>search has yielded very little information. So I thought I would throw
>this question out to all you knowledgeable art teachers out there in cyber
>land. I saw some aluminum sheets at the local hardware store and was
>wondering if that is good to use or does it take a special type of
>aluminum to paint on. What about sheet metal as a painting support?
>What are the archival issues? How do you prepare the aluminum and what
>type of paint works best? These are just a some questions I have but any
>information or directing me to any books or website would be greatly
>appreciated. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
>
>Blessings,
>Joe

---