Oldest profession quote, thanks Maggie

---------

From: Pam (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 18:23:32 PST

When I asked for quotes a few weeks ago, Maggie sent a super one that I used
it today when I spoke at the Mayor's Breakfast for Education in the Arts at
Flagstaff. It was a perfect opener and (believe it or not) I was able to
tie it into the talk without a hitch. Even Tom Horne thought it was a great
quote and actually referenced it in his talk!

The quote? Contrary to popular belief, the oldest profession on earth is
art.

In my talk, I underscored the value of the visual arts and what the visual
arts do for academic achievement. I tried to get across the point that the
arts should not be used as a support system or handmaiden for the rest of
the curriculum. The talk was to about 100 local, county, and state
administrators. I was a bit surprised when one point midway in the talk
received a rousing round of applause.

If you'd care to read my notes, I can post them for your reference.

For those of you in AZ, Tom Horne is on your side. I encourage you to look
into the Opening Minds through Art grant opportunity. Although it does not
specifically say "art", we are not left out. Horne itemized arts as being
music, dance, theatre, AND visual arts.

From Sedona,
Pam

---