Re: Learning Attitude

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 16:26:37 PST

From: Sharon Henneborn <henneborn@mac.com>
Date: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:37:20 PM America/New_York
To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu>
Subject: Re: Learning Attitude

I think that praise can be general but when the goal is to change
behavior the directions need to be behavior specific. That has been
one of my most useful tools.

  Second on that list is the positive "I message": "I expect..." and
"I prefer... " "I am pleased...." "I appreciate the good tool care
happening at table 3." etc.

Sometimes it is a stretch to make sure everyone is covered in a stretch
of time. Can't cover every individual in one class period but the
payoff is worth the effort.

Sharon ~ NJ

On Tuesday, March 23, 2004, at 09:15 AM, Ramos, Myriam wrote:

> These comments remind me of something I told my daughter when she
> became a
> mother. I told her to be specific when telling her children to behave.
> Say
> what is specifically expected. I have a hard time keeping my mouth
> shut when
> I see parents in public places telling their chidren to be good.
>
> Myriam

---