Re: Clay 30 kids - Middle School

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 08:22:40 PST

I always had a deal with the principal that if I sent a kid to him for
throwing, wiping, smearing, pizza making, flipping or otherwise making
clay airborne, that kid would sit in detention for the rest of the time
with clay--usually in 8th grade that was about 5 weeks. The new
principals always balked at this, but it works if they will cooperate.
It's such a threat--and I only put in 4 kids in 13 years--that I say, Now
clay is really fun and we can all enjoy it, but if you feel the need to
disobey my only rule you can learn about clay by writing a 2 page report
every day while the rest of us play. It's like public hanging--pretty
good to have an example every 3 or 4 years so they know you mean business.
You have to have full cooperation from admin first. Explain to them that
clay flying about the school is bad for everyone. In high school I have
pottery all year long so I make the no airborne clay threat at the first
week of school and tell them they will have to find another class and lose
the credit for the partial semester. Once again you have to have support.
If a kid throws little dry crumbs at another or some really minor
infraction, I make a big deal of it and have them wash down all the tables
for a week and tell them next time they are finding a new class.

In jr. hi/mid school if you don't have support from admin, then you have
to separate the kid in your own room or maybe you could make a deal with
study hall? If many kids are involved, no more clay (this is hard because
you're heavily into it) One year some kids took all the peep hole plugs
which happened to look like pipes. I have the class 2 days to turn in the
offenders--it didn't happen and we were back to drawing. I hated that
more than anybody because clay is so soothing for everyone. Oh, and one
more thing, don't do clay at the end of the year because they don't have
anything to lose. Sid

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #