Re: Personal Art

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 05:40:01 PST

Steven, I've painted on hardboard/masonite for a long time, since college in the early 80's. I've always preferred it to stretched canvas. A coat or two of acrylic gesso should work for oil/acrylic, I also like absorbent ground which is more like real gesso. I like to finish off the gesso by patting it with one of those cheap foam brushes. It gives it an overall pebble finish rather than brushy or sanded smooth. I like the texture.

The new "clayboards" are really nice to paint on as well, and already gessoed, and not that expensive. I have found the smooth finish to be a little difficult with acrylic (slimy) but fine for oil.