Re: Grading Long Projects

---------

From: Justin Kramer (bern30_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 17:01:45 PDT

When doing a project that takes several weeks or longer how do you spread
the grade over the quarter?

This question for me really highlights the difference between countries and
education systems. We don't use rubics and in my situation I only assess
four times per-semester. Once for their art journal, once each at the end of
terms for their major art works - ranging from 8 - 10 weeks each and a art
appraising task either a test or essay. So in effect we are always marking
long projects - I don't itemise and mark things separately but treat the
students submission as a folio. Similar I guess to presenting works at an
interview. The folio usually consists of research and developmental work
plus the resolved art work. Instead of rubics we use standard descriptors
for seniors. Works are graded from A+ - E- and each level has a descriptor
to it and the student is awarded a result based on how well they have
fulfilled that descriptor. For example - Visual literacy (which is mainly
demonstrated in visual journal) A standard reads - the student researches,
develops and resolves individualised artworks, reflecting an evolved
personal aesthetic; defines and solves complex problems relevant to
concept(s); uses visual language and contexts to contruct and effectively
communicate intended meanings.

Different?

Cheers

Justin