Faith Ringgold and international teachers

---------

From: Catharine Ho (catharineho_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 23:44:12 PST

I introduced Faith Ringgold to my grade 6 students and they loved her.
Before and after the video we had a discussion about identity. We talked
about Faith being a mixture of her African heritage and her European/
American experience. This is a wonderful topic for all students but of
particular relevance to international students as many have lived and
traveled in various parts of the world. They are called third culture kids
because they often don't feel like they belong in either the culture of
their heritage or the culture(s) they are experiencing and growing up in. We
discussed how Faith's search for her own style of art was really a search
for how she could visually say who she was. For homework they had to go home
and ask their parents about their most vivid memories of friendship from
their growing up years. We then compared them to their own memories of
friendship and then the students selected a memory to illustrate, with text
at the bottom of the picture. We then made our class quilts but putting
patterns around the outsides of these pictures and joining them together.
This was truly a worthwhile project. Thanks to this list... it's because of
you great people that I was introduced to the work of Faith Ringgold and
purchased the video and what an inspiration it was! Catharine in Hong Kong

No masks required! Use MSN Messenger to chat with friends and family.
http://go.msnserver.com/HK/25382.asp

---